6.12.2008

Yearly Update to the Top 50

As I said last post, I'm going to update my Top 50 Favorite Movies. Here's the deal, for those who are rookies to the list: The emphasis is on favorite movies. Not what I think are the best movies, or movies everyone should see (though there are often connections between all of these). The list is not based on innovation or how many Oscars a movie has, and I won't keep a movie off because I'm embarrassed I like it, just like I won't put a movie on here because I should like it.

My 2006 list can be seen in its entirety here and the 2007 list here.

As always, I will include a little blurb (some will be repetitive from before; I'll try to avoid that) and a link to IMDb. And also, as always, I do think everyone should try to see these movies.

Note: I will not do 'honorable mentions' or anything of the sort because it's a cop out. I'm having a lot of trouble narrowing it down to just 50, and even more sorting them, but I firmly believe that a 'top 50' should only have 50 movies, not 51, 55, or 60.

50. As Good as It Gets (1997) || IMDb
Last Year: N/A

Kicking off the new Top 50 is a new addition. Two words describe why this movie works so well: Jack Nicholson. Here is my favorite performance of his (no exceptions), and I could watch the scenes with him forever. However, this movie barely makes the countdown because some other elements of the movie are a drag. Not a whole package, but good enough.

49. Schindler's List (1993) || IMDb
Last Year: 37, down 12

Still a great, great movie. Again, if this was a list of movie quality, this would be much higher. I enjoy this movie a lot, but others are now closer to my heart.

48. Sabrina (1954) || IMDb
Last Year: 50, up 2

I re-watched this film a few weeks ago, this time paying particular attention to Bogie's character. The way he controls a scene is spectacular, despite the scene-stealer Audrey Hepburn in the starring role. Truly a classic.

47. Jerry Maguire (1996) || IMDb
Last Year: 44, down 3

Down again, but not out. Despite scientology and Elizabethtown, I have very fond memories of this film. The movie is not only about having a heart, but also shows one as well. That's why it's so endearing.

46. This Is Spinal Tap (1984) || IMDb
Last Year: N/A

What a hysterically funny movie. I mean, I really don't know what else to say -- if you've seen this movie, you love it. If you haven't seen it, you need to. Think Borat, except about a rock band. And British. And funny.

As always -- five more movies tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment