4.30.2007

I was thinking about making a yearly update of my top 50 favorite movies. My first (and last) list was in August 2006, and though it's only about May, here it comes again. Because I can, and some serious revisions have occured. Also, surprisingly some people enjoyed it (I'm not completely egocentric).

For those unfamiliar, it's a countdown of my top 50 favorite movies. Emphasis on favorite. Not what I think is the best (though there's obviously some connection), not what I think should be up top, not based on innovation or Oscar nominations (surprising, I know) or fear of embarrassment. Last year I wrote up a small note with each entry, and I plan to do that again. I'll also include an IMDb link and a note of how much it moved on the countdown.

The list will be posted in about 5-10 a day, starting on the first. No pictures this year though, because I'm lazy. Okay, maybe pictures for the top ten.

A lot can happen in a year, and I've seen a lot of new movies. Though, what kind of person would I be if a majority of my list wasn't the same? I take pride on my opinion, and while it may sway, its general feeling remains the same--just the element of favoritism sways. I'm anticipating about 35-40 of the movies making the cut again--at least.

So, here's the old list:

1. It's a Wonderful Life
2. American Beauty
3. A Streetcar Named Desire
4. The Shawshank Redemption
5. The Princess Bride
6. The Godfather
7. A Shot In the Dark
8. Some Like it Hot
9. Psycho
10. Annie Hall
11. Casablanca
12. All About Eve
13. Halloween
14. Clue
15. Dr. Strangelove
16. Sunset Blvd.
17. Lilo and Stitch
18. The Producers
19. Silence of the Lambs
20. Traffic
21. Finding Nemo
22. Blazing Saddles
23. Chinatown
24. Fight Club
25. The Godfather: Part II
26. Clerks
27. How to Lose a Guy In 10 Days
28. Moulin Rouge!
29. Reservoir Dogs
30. Mean Girls
31. The Usual Suspects
32. Gone With the Wind
33. Jerry Maguire
34. The Graduate
35. About a Boy
36. Chocolat
37. Ghostbusters
38. Army of Darkness
39. Schindler's List
40. 28 Days Later...
41. Breakfast at Tiffany's
42. Love Actually
43. The Shining
44. Mallrats
45. A Night at the ROxbury
46. My Cousin Vinny
47. Dawn of the Dead
48. Almost Famous
49. Shakespeare in Love
50. Scream

No comments:

Post a Comment