6.15.2008

Top 50 -- 35-31

35. Chocolat (2000) || IMDb
Last Year: 34, down 1

There's something about this movie that is endearing... possibly that a story told through a chocolaterie seems much better than telling a story any other way? But also there's great performances, writing, direction, etc.

34. Bridget Jones's Diary (2001) || IMDb
Last Year: N/A

I think this movie barely missed the list years before, not because I didn't like it much, but because I would forget about it for some reason or other. This is one of my favorite romantic comedies, and anyone who knows me knows I love Hugh Grant. But also, this movie is bound to make you happy -- if an overweight, smoking, alcoholic, cursing, inarticulate woman can find love, any of us can.

33. The Producers (1968) || IMDb
Last Year: 20, down 13

More Mel Brooks. More hilarity. This movie is a recurring member on the list, so I don't have much more to say.

32. Traffic (2000) || IMDb
Last Year: 22, down 10

Steven Soderbergh really does have his hits and misses. Here I think is his best film, as well as a very intricately written screenplay and again -- great performances. Much better than, say, Gladiator.

31. Fargo (1996) || IMDb
Last Year: 49, up 18

My appreciation for this movie only grows with time. Fargo ages like wine, and I think its rise is also fueled by the greatness of No Country for Old Men. But I still enjoy Fargo more. This is one of those that I think everyone should have to see.