6.28.2008

Top 50 -- 5-1

Sorry for the delay. Real life was kicking in. Is anyone still reading this?

5. The Godfather (1972) || IMDb
Last Year: 5, no movement

What can be said for this film that has not been said before? It is a perfect film in every aspect, and one that not only should be studied, but has a strong emotional pull to it. Yet the audience is sympathetic for the Corleone family, who are in fact mobsters. I love it.

4. Annie Hall (1977) || IMDb
Last Year: 4, no movement

I love Woody Allen. Sure he's had some flops, but when his films are good, they're really good. Here is his best comedy (I would say Match Point is his best drama), and all the jokes and routines he's ever had somehow managed to mesh into this wonderful film.

3. It's a Wonderful Life (1946) || IMDb
Last Year: 3, no movement

Another classic film. I'm simply going to state that if you don't like this movie you have no heart.

2. All About Eve (1950) || IMDb
Last Year: 2, no movement

Before, I said that I would be willing to debate with anyone that this was the best film ever. I still stand by that. As with all my favorites, it is a triumph of writing, but also every other aspect. Bette Davis gives arguably her best performance, and I love Anne Baxter. This movie isn't for everyone, but I think those who 'get' it always enjoy it.

1. American Beauty (1999) || IMDb
Last Year: 1, no movement

I could watch this movie forever and ever. It contains everything, from comedy to emotionally draining drama. Each character is so unique, and the way the story unfolds is paced so well. Even the musical score, which I listen to regularly, is a masterpiece. Definitely a great film, and certainly my favorite.