7.01.2006

The Devil Wears Prada

It's been a long time since I've been pleased by a movie in theaters, so I don't know where to start. First, one critic, quoted in the previews, says, "Meryl Streep has never been better." That person has obviously never seen 'Sophie's Choice,' but that's not too relevant. This movie shows, yet again, why Meryl Streep is easily the best (still) working actress these days. Hands down. No one else is close. I've been saying it for years, and finally people are catching on.

I'm a big fan of the cynical, sarcastic, sadist humor, and this movie had a steady run of it all the way through, not faltering after the first half hour like a lot of flicks these days. The clashing of Miranda (Streep) and Andrea (Anne Hathaway) is pretty sweet on screen, but Anne Hathaway's was one of the weaker performances in this movie. Emily Blunt, playing the character 'Emily,' was perfect for the 'I would do anything for my job, I'm better than you' role, and the way she would dress and over-do her wardrobe was perfect for the part, making it completely believable. But seriously, Meryl Streep will most likely be looking at yet another Oscar nod.

Pointed out by the person I saw the movie with, there was a definite 'Sex and the City' vibe going on, which makes sense since David Frankel, the director, also directed six SatC episodes. That's not a bad thing by any means.

I'm going to use the "It's 2:22 in the morning and I'm tired" cop-out. I just wanted to rave about Meryl Streep, and also point out that I was glad to see no leaning towards the 'happy ending' and the movie ended how it should've.

Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment