7.30.2006

Continuing the countdown of my 50 favorite movies ever!

35 - About a Boy
About a Boy (2002) | IMDb

So, back to my whole Hugh Grant fetish... Just kidding. No, actually, I'm not kidding. Okay, anyway! Chris Weitz is a really great writer/director, and despite 'American Dreamz' failing terribly, this story about Hugh being a complete asshole is both hilarious and ultimately heartwarming.

34 - The Graduate
The Graduate (1967) | IMDb

This movie is so funny, Dustin Hoffman is so awesome, and Katharine Ross is so pretty. That's all I'm going to say. If you haven't seen this movie, what's wrong with you?

33 - Jerry MaGuire
Jerry MaGuire (1996) | IMDb

Even though "You had me at 'hello'" and "Show me the money!" have become extremely overused, the original source is still a great piece of cinema. I think this is Tom Cruise at his finest, and Cuba Gooding Jr. is great. Like I said before (for the Almost Famous notes), Cameron Crowe is a great writer. I just love the line, "No heart? No heart?! I'm all heart, motherfucker!"

32 - Gone With the Wind
Gone With the Wind (1939) | IMDb

The oldest movie on this list so far, and one that changed cinema in a lot of ways. Though the first 3 hours or so can drag on, they're still very watchable. The last 40 minutes of this movie is some of the best artwork out there. So breathtaking. Also, Vivien Leigh is extremely talented (and pretty). This movie should be watched at least once by everyone.

31 - The Usual Suepcts
The Usual Suspects (1995) | IMDb

This movie is just... damn near perfect. Kevin Spacey is one of the best actors of this generation, and his character Verbal Kint is outstanding. Plus the writing is brilliant, and even after you've seen it through once, twice, three times, it's still great fun to watch over and over. This is probably one of my favorite non-gangster crime movies of all time.

thirty-six through forty
forty-five through forty-one
fifty through forty-six

No comments:

Post a Comment