4.28.2006

Premiere magazine listed the "top 25 screenplays," and I figured I'd comment because I'm bored.

Link

1. Casablanca
2. The Godfather
3. Chinatown
4. Citizen Kane
5. All About Eve
6. Annie Hall
7. Sunset Boulevard
8. Network
9. Some Like It Hot
10. The Godfather Part II
11. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
12. Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
13. The Graduate
14. Lawrence of Arabia
15. The Apartment
16. Pulp Fiction
17. Tootsie
18. On the Waterfront
19. To Kill a Mockingbird
20. It's a Wonderful Life
21. North by Northwest
22. The Shawshank Redemption
23. Gone with the Wind
24. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
25. The Wizard of Oz

I'm glad they showed some love for recent movies ('Eternal Sunshine' and 'Shawshank').

Top 2 were the correct placings and I think anyone who's seen both would agree, though which is the better movie overall is debatable (I say 'Casablanca' but that's just me).

'Some Like It Hot' and 'Godfather II' should've been a few places higher, and I'm glad Woody Allen's 'Annie Hall' got a top 10 placement.

Nice to see 'The Graduate' represented as well.

'Pulp Fiction' should not be on that list, especially at #16.

'On the Waterfront' should've been ahead of 'Dr. Strangelove,' same with 'It's a Wonderful Life.'

Glad 'Wizard of Oz' and 'Gone with the Wind' are on there, and their placings are appropriate. Amazing movies but their screenplays aren't too phenominal (but, obviously, still good).

Overall I give this list: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment