5.30.2006

Top 10 comedies according to Jon. If you do not agree, you fail. This list is inspired because Bravo made a 100 comedies list and it was the worst list ever. EVER. I'm not even going to link to it because it was so terrible.

10. Clerks

This 'cult' movie has so many good one-liners, and I can't get enough of them. With a sequel on the way (which I doubt will live up to the original, but I'll definitely be there opening day), this movie has gained significant popularity since it's release. Though Kevin Smith has made numerous movies since, I still think this is my favorite of his bunch.

Memorable quote: Randal Graves: People say crazy shit during sex. One time I called this girl "Mom."

9. Blazing Saddles

Mel Brooks is a comedic genius. A perfect blend of racial stereotyping and slapstick humor put this in my top 10. Gene Wilder is always laugh-inspiring. This is my favorite 'Western' movie, as well.

Memorable quote: Jim: Well, my name is Jim, but most people call me... Jim.

8. Ghostbusters

Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd, Harold Ramis. Sure, Sigourney Weaver sucks, but this movie is too funny to pass up. If you haven't seen this movie and/or don't acknowledge how funny it is, don't talk to me. That is all.

Memorable quote: Dr Ray Stantz: Listen! Do you smell something?

7. Dr. Strangelove

Kubrick directing. Sellers in 3 different roles. George C. Scott. Dark humor. Sure it's a little monotonous at some points, but that's why it's funny. Just don't watch it if you're sleepy.

Memorable quote: President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

6. Clue

Lots of subtle humor, and Tim Curry is hilarious. Three different endings, lots of slapstick, and somehow it all makes sense.

Memorable quote: Wadsworth: He decided to put his information to good use and make a little money off of it. What could be more American than that?

5. The Graduate

What an absurd premise. Katharine Ross is so beautiful, and Dustin Hoffman is always solid. Fairly lighthearted and not too 'touchy-feely,' this movie does the 'love story' the best (laughable) way. So good.

Memorable quote: Benjamin: Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me.

4. Annie Hall

Though most of Woody Allen's movies are generally the same (he's a neurotic Jewish New Yorker with love problems), this one's easily my favorite. Lots of good one-liners, and the way Woody Allen doesn't 'write down for his audience' is something I admire. Plus Diane Keaton is great in the ditsy title role.

Memorable quote: Alvy Singer: My grammy never gave gifts. She was too busy getting raped by Cossacks.

3. The Producers

Another Mel Brooks film, and I think this one's better than Blazing Saddles. I think 'Saddles' has more one-liners, but the plot for The Producers is brilliant. Plus, again, Gene Wilder. I love this movie.

Memorable quote: Max Bialystock: How could this happen? I was so careful. I picked the wrong play, the wrong director, the wrong cast. Where did I go right?

2. Some Like It Hot

Marilyn Monroe, Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis. Billy Wilder. Win, win, win, win, win. Perfect performances across the board, an amazingly funny plot, and great writing make this one of the best ensemble movies ever; however, it falls short of one movie...

Memorable quote: Joe: The ship is in ship-shape shape.

1. A Shot in the Dark

Peter Sellers is quite possibly the funniest actor ever. Inspector Clouseau is one of my favorite characters of all time, and though I like the Pink Panther movies, I think this spin-off (kinda) is far superior. Plus Blake Edwards is great. Seriously, though, the scene where Clouseau's playing billiards in the Ballon mansion is my favorite movie scene of all time, and if that had just been a ~5 minute short, this movie would've still topped my list.

Memorable quote: Dreyfus: What you've said, Clouseau, qualifies you as the greatest prophet since Custer said he was going to surround all those Indians!

No comments:

Post a Comment