5.14.2006

Late last night I was going to Waffle House with my friend David. While in the car I found my pair of Aviator Glasses and decided to wear them inside while we ate.

We saw inside at a booth waiting for two other people we were meeting to show up. Our server, some older, disgusting looking lady, came up and tried to start a conversation with us (me) about my glasses.

"Is it too bright in here for you?"

"Yeah," I said, and being the compulsive liar I am, I continued, "my eyes got messed up today."

"Really? Are they bloodshot?"

"Kind of, a little bit, but they're also dilated. I had to go to the doctor."

"Can I see?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"It's bad." (Obviously I didn't want to take my glasses off since there was nothing wrong with my eyes.)

"Well that's not fair, let me see."

"Well, life's not fair."

At this point David interjected with something along the lines of, "His girlfriend punched him in the face?"

I started laughing (because of that, but also because of the whole situation [David was already hiding his laughter. His valiant attempt to save me will not be forgotten.]), and said I didn't have a black eye from my girlfriend (because it would take more than sunglasses to hide that).

She asked me once more to take off my glasses, to which I said "No," and then she took our drink order.

It irritated me a bit. She kept on badgering me when I clearly didn't want to show her my embarassing eye condition. Suppose I really had messed up my eyes. So inconsiderate.

Normally I tip well since I worked in a restaurant for two years and know how things work, but that annoyed me so much I didn't leave her anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment