3.30.2006

You know, I hate poetry. I really do. If I could abolish one aspect of the literary world, that would be it. Contrariwise, yeterday I was eating lunch with three friends and one of them was hating on poetry, basically because she was forced to read it in middle school.

Normally I would've been like "yeah, fuck poetry!" It was uncanny... I felt some deep inner urge and obligation as an English major to defend poetry, despite agreeing with the fact that it sucked.

That was the main reason, at least. However, anyone who really knows me is aware that I often like to play Devil's advocate (when possible), and I like to be difficult and argumentative.

In other news...

I've taken up writing this story for one of my classes in a Hemingway style. I started writing it, but I just started writing whatever came to mind in random order, so instead of minimalistic and below-the-surface writing I got cynical first person commentary on college life from the perspective of a sick kid. I think I'm going to just tear it up and start over.

Well, and I don't want to fail.

Like John Hersey said: "To be a writer is to throw away a great deal, not to be satisfied, to type again, and then again and once more, and over and over." Or, Hemingway: "The first draft of anything is shit."

No comments:

Post a Comment