3.15.2006

So it's spring break, and you know what that means! Lots of movies, lots of writing, and lots of reading (by me, I don't think anyone actually reads what I write). Here's some quick movie reviews, some new, some old(er), in a rundown from best-to-worst.

L.A. Confidential IMDb

This has to be one of, if not the best Thriller/Mystery/Drama movies in the last decade, and maybe of all time. A shooting in a diner twines the events tailed by three cops (amazingly played by Kevin Spacey, Guy Pearce, and Russell Crowe) as they try to solve the situation, which of course goes much deeper than surface level.

This movie weighs in at about 2 hours and 15 minutes, and oh how the time does fly by. There's not a dull moment in this script, and Curtis Hanson tells the story perfectly.

Who should see this movie: Everbody
Rating: 9.5/10

Gosford Park IMDb

To put it right up front, this movie takes commitment to watch and if you're not into it, it's easy to fall asleep. A huge cast of characters, almost all of them being important to the plot, drive this movie up the charts. Great directing by Robert Altman.

This movie isn't without flaws, but what makes it so good is that the screenplay - to put it bluntly - is quite possibly perfect. The plot paces just right, the character development is fantastic, the ending is superb, and I love it.

Who should see this movie: People with patience and who don't fall asleep easily
Rating: 8/10

Adaptation. IMDb

Charlie Kaufman's pre-Eternal Sunshine work, and seemingly semi-autobiographical, himself being played by Nic Cage. This movie is a bit hard to watch at times, simply because it seems so random - but that's its thing. For the most part it works.

I love Meryl Streep, and her performance was outstanding as usual. Chris Cooper has an Oscar-winning performance (though I didn't particularly like him). Nic Cage, while he looks a bit shabby, does a great job too. I like this film because it shows what writing it really like, and tries to be a movie is principles, but doesn't push them too hard.

Who should see this movie: Charlie Kaufman fans, movie dorks, and aspiring writers
Rating: 7.5/10

16 Blocks IMDb

I saw this new Bruce Willis/Mos Def flick simply because there was nothing better out, and I was pleasantly surprised with the flick. Go to IMDb if you want a summary.

I don't like Mos Def or Bruce Willis, but both deliver great performances in this fast-paced action/thriller. There were a couple weak moments (mainly scenes with David Morse), but as far as script and directing and 2/3 leads acting goes, this was a very solid genre film. It knew what its goal was (simply entertainment), and stuck to it.

Who should see this movie: All guys, anyone who is forced to go to the theatre and doesn't want to suffer through The Shaggy Dog
Rating: 7/10

A History of Violence IMDb

Ok, so this came out on DVD today and my mom rented it, so I figured I'd watch it. I heard a little hype and it was free, so why not?

All I really have to say - to start - is thank Christ this movie was only 95 minutes. I don't mind Aragorn or Ed Harris or Maria Bello, and the movie was solid for the first, oh, 40 minutes, but it jumped the shark when Ed Harris dies (sorry kids for spoiling it) and had no way to recover.

A cheesy, Hollywood ending to the film seemed boring to me. If you see it, talk message me, so when we discuss the ending, I can say "Come the fuck on." It was that bad.

However, there were a few moments of action and dialogue that I enjoyed, so it wasn't all bad. There was just a few kinks and I wish the film would've taken a different direction.

Who should see this movie: People who can see it for free and want to waste their life
Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment