2.18.2009

Recipe of the Day: Chinese Chicken

I enjoy cooking, but HATE cleaning up, so that's why I rarely do. What's awesome, though, is I downloaded an Ap on my iPhone that has recipes, so I can just shake my phone at the store to get a random recipe and I can get the ingredients right then.

Tonight I made some Chinese Chicken Fried Rice. View the original recipe here.

Here are the original ingredients:

* 1 egg
* 1 tablespoon water
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1 onion, chopped
* 2 cups cooked white rice, cold
* 2 tablespoons soy sauce
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1 cup cooked, chopped chicken meat


The directions on the site are good, but they are kind of haphazard. Here is how to prep and cook in order. I'm pretty slow at this stuff and it took me about 30 minutes from pot to plate.

Step One: Cook the white rice. Pretty simple--follow the directions on the box, and then put it in a container and throw it into the freezer.

Step Two: Cut up the chicken. I'm very picky with 'edges' and fat, and usually go through much more chicken than the average person for a perfect bite. Also, I would use a bit more chicken than the recipe says, but it's up to you. Once it's cut up, throw it in the skillet.

Step Three: While chicken is cooking, cut up the onion. I used a sweet onion, which I think turned out better. I also only used about 2/3 the onion, and it was plenty. Don't forget to keep the chicken cooking evenly on both sides.

Step Four: Take of the chicken, set it on the side (does not need to be completely cooked, just no longer raw). Next, beat the egg and mix it with the water. I found one egg was not enough for me, and I love eggs. I'd go for two next time (so twice as much water, too), but again, up to you.

Step Five: Melt the butter in the skillet, throw the egg in it, and let it cook for 1-2 minutes. Take it off, cut it a couple times, and leave it.

Step Six: Vegetable oil in the skillet, cook the onions for a second.

Step Seven: Take the rice out of the freezer, dump it on the onions. Mix in the soy sauce, and then the pepper (measure it out--if you just guess and it's too much it will ruin it), and then toss in the chicken. Mix it up every minute for 5 minutes.

What's nice about this is there's time to get some of the dishes cleaned up so it's not such an arduous task later. I got most of my stuff clean during those 5 minutes.

Step Eight: At the end of 5 minutes, throw the eggs in, give it a good mix, and I gave it another 30 seconds or so, just to heat the eggs up.

This is fairly easy, and if you follow the steps above, it could feed two very hungry adults, so if you only cook for one (like me, usually), it will be great leftovers (then again, what isn't?).

Again, recipe freely adapted from AllRecipes, so don't read this and think I'm some amazing cook.

This may be a regular feature in the future: We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment