8.19.2008

Lucky Number Slevin is Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang Lite

I finally got around to watching Lucky Number Slevin tonight, and let's say I'm glad I did not see it in theaters. Not because I would have paid for it, but because I would have been filled with frustration as some of the slower audience members justify the movie spelling everything out in big bright neon signs.

The first hour or so of the movie had me going. Maybe some people don't dig on the sort of obsessive, wordy dialogue used here, but I do. This movie had an interesting setup, with a bit of North by Northwest feel (which is sadly acknowledged in the movie itself). Yet there was a sort of wit that reminded me very much of Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, which came out roughly a year earlier.

The real problems with Slevin come in what should be the third act. The gimmick of the movie can be figured out --spoilers ahead--.....

....when Slevin shoots the Fairy twice in the chest with perfect aim. Maybe even sooner. If we put a little thought into it, the whole thing would make sense and the holes could be filled in by ourselves; however, the writer does not give his audience enough credit and insists on explaining everything that we've already seen the result of. We do not need to see Bruce Willis striking deals with both sides, or him punching Slevin in the nose. What we needed was a solid third act, escalating the story as opposed to simply backpedaling through the first act. That's a tragic mistake of movies that try to have a 'twist,' and it pains me to see it.

For that, I give this movie a 5 out of 7, and that's generous. Do yourself a favor and watch Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment