8.10.2008

A Little Ledger Talk

Today 'A Knight's Tale' was on TBS. I hadn't seen the movie in a few months, but it's always a pleasure. Sure, it's not a great film. But it's structured well and is very entertaining. Yet, the real reason 'A Knight's Tale' works so well is because of how great an actor Heath Ledger was. Not only could he perform, but he had a kind of charisma that is matched by few actors around today.

The first role I saw him in was '10 Things I Hate About You.' I majored in English, so we all know I love me some Shakespeare. The movie itself was better than most teen comedies of the late-90s era, but even here one could tell that Heath Ledger was a standout. No one else's career in that film blossomed near as much as Ledgers.

He had a small, but important role in 'The Patriot' -- a film I used to enjoy before I knew much about film. 'The Patriot' is mediocre in every sense of the word, but as always, Ledger was great.

'Monster's Ball' is a fantastic film. I do not think Halle Berry should have won the Best Actress Oscar, but I do think Ledger should have been nominated for Supporting. Sure, his role was small, but very touching, and also very crucial to this film.

Let's not talk about 'The Four Feathers' or 'The Order' (though the latter had some good scenes -- the overall film was pretty bad). It's interesting, though, how 'The Order' had the same writer/director as 'A Knight's Tale,' as well as Shannyn Sossamon and Mark Addy, yet turned out so bad.

I never saw 'Lords of Dogtown' and really have no desire to. Am I missing anything?

'The Brothers Grimm' came in with the wave of 'Van Helsing,' 'Underworld,' and the rising of comic book adaptations. Not awful, but not the best film out there.

'Brokeback Mountain' would be the high point of Ledger's career, spare for his final performance. Brokeback is such an extraordinary film.... It really irritates me when people are ignorant enough to call it a 'gay cowboy movie.' Grow up. It's a mature film with some draining performances. Philip Seymour Hoffman deserved his 'Capote' Oscar, but Ledger's Ennis Del Mar will be long remembered.

Ledger did a few more film until we come to the most recent success, 'The Dark Knight.' Heath Ledger as the Joker is easily the best part of TDK. Yes, easily. And TDK is a great film. But there is such an amazing performance here that if he does not win a posthumous Oscar I will be shocked. And he should not win it for sympathy or nostalgia, but because his Joker is the best performance of the year.

What is my point?

Heath Ledger was a great actor. His death is a tragedy. Why must one of the best actors of this generation meet their death so early, whereas countless untalented men continue to make awful films? Who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment