1.11.2007

Three things in order of descending importance (or, 'interestingness,' if you prefer):

On Tuesday night I went to go see 'Dreamgirls' because it looked okay and has some good buzz. It was a Tuesday night and most people I knew were either busy, or just didn't want to see it, so I went by myself (and as lame as I am, this is not uncommon).

The line was long, which I found odd, since it was 10:00PM on a Tuesday night, but that's what happens in a college town. So I walk into my theatre expecting a decent crowd, but it's empty except for three girls in the front row. For some reason, that is very girly I'm sure, they were trying to take a picture of themselves (maybe going to see a movie is a once-a-year thing for them, but in that case, why waste it on 'Dreamgirls?'). I walked in, and they asked me to take a picture of them, so I did.

"Are you here by yourself?" one of them asked.

"Yeah," I said, then gave the reasons stated above.

"You can sit with us if you want," she said. To be honest I didn't feel like talking to anyone and just wanted to watch the fucking movie, but oh well, I sat next to that girl. Funny thing is she introduced herself to me first, and mentioned her name twice, and about 30 seconds later I completely forgot it, whereas I remember the other two's names now (2 days later). Kind of weird.

So we made small talk through the previews, and then when the movie started they all shut up, but they were always sending text messages (I assume) throughout the movie, which I don't understand. How can you enjoy a movie when you're doing that?

When the movie ended we went our separate ways and said it was nice to meet each other, so this story is actually pretty anticlimactic, so I'll stop here.

Secondly, I went to Burger King tonight for dinner, and I love The King. I hate when I get fries, and an onion ring slips into the container with my fries. I hate onions, and just the smell grosses me out. Assholes.

And lastly, 'Dreamgirls' was pretty good, but I'm easily forgetting it now. The problem, like with most musicals (an exception to this rule off the top of my head is 'Chicago'), is that I can just save myself an hour and listen to the few good songs from the soundtrack while doing something else, and have the same feeling. Also, Jennifer Hudson can sing, yes, but if she wins the Best Supporting Acresss Oscar I'll be pretty pissed off. This isn't the Grammys, and acting is supposed to be awarded, and her acting was pretty shitty. Award acting, not voices, please. The movie's worth at least a rental, though, or maybe a dollar theatre viewing.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment