5.08.2007

Top 15 is serious business. In related news, I think I fixed my desktop computer (have been using the laptop for a long time). That's good, but I don't want to jinx it, since it's only been about a day. . . .

15. Psycho (1960) || IMDb
Last year: 9, down 6

Pretty much everything Hitchcock touched became a classic, and this thriller is no exception. The pacing is perfect, and the way it shows the extremes characters go to for traits such as jealousy and greed is what makes it so good.

14. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) || IMDb
Last year: 15, up 1

I won't deny that the first time I watched this movie, I fell asleep. This was probably a few years ago. Then I watched it again when it wasn't late at night and wasn't on a computer screen, and I enjoyed it infinitely more. Peter Sellers is one of the best comic actors, even if you just count Dr. Strangelove and the his Inspector Clouseau. But it's not just the title character that makes this movie so funny. George C. Scott contributes a lot himself. The ending scene/line is awesome.

13. Casablanca (1942) || IMDb
Last year: 11, down 2

On an unbiased list of 'best' movie ever, this would be in the top 3 (I cannot just pick one, and you'll see the other two shortly). Few movies that are old have dialogue this crisp, and those that do are obviously why they are 'classics.' Ingrid Bergman is also a favorite of mine, and who can hate on Bogart? I don't think this is my favorite Bogart performance, but it's my favorite film with him in it.

12. Le Fabulex destin d'Amelie Poulain (2001) || IMDb
Last year: N/A

A big first appearance for miss Amelie. Hearing French spoken is always pleasant, and when you get to look at someone so pretty as Audrey Tautou speaking it, it's impossible not to love her. Let's also consider that she's quirky, meddling, and partially altruistic. A great character; but the movie is also great. The cinematography of Paris has received criticism for not being realistic (too pretty/clean/etc), but that's why it's so good.

11. Sunset Blvd. (1950) || IMDb
Last year: 16, up 5

Some more Billy Wilder showing up. I regretted putting this at sixteen last year, and it's rightfully moved up. 1950 was a good movie year. I really don't want to ruin the plot. . . William Holden is an out of work screenwriter who gets stranded at Gloria Swanson's mansion. Swanson is a retired silent film star who is rich, but delusional. She hires Holden to proofread her own screenplay about her life, and he gets trapped by her--not physically, but by each others' needs. Fantastic writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment