5.10.2007

So here's my top five favorite movies! It's hard to place these five as I love them all, but here is how I favor them. . . .

5. The Godfather (1972) || IMDb
Last year: 6, up 1

The fall and rise story of the Corleone family. Why do I like this movie so much? Never a dull moment in these three hours. Every word, every shot is perfection. There's even a few funny lines: "Leave the gun. Take the cannolis." The greatness of this movie is how it gives deep characterization to the families, while also not harming a single outsider through the film (okay, maybe one in Sicily, but that's debatable). Memorable quote:

Michael: My father made him an offer he couldn't refuse.
Kay Adams: What was it?
Michael: Luca Brasi held a gun to his head, and my father assured the bandleader, that either his signature or his brains would be on the contract.

4. Annie Hall (1997) || IMDb
Last year: 10, up 6

I've watched a lot of Woody Allen movies since last year, but this is still my favorite. Manhattan is a close second, but. . . . Count on Woody Allen to string together a seemingly random array of scenes with pop culture jokes, as well as comedy ranging from racial stereotypes to the absurdness of the California mindset. Memorable quote:

Alvy Singer: Syliva Plath - interesting poetess whose tragic suicide was misinterpreted as romantic by the college girl mentality.

3. It's a Wonderful Life (1946) || IMDb
Last year: 1, down 2

Still love this movie, but I need something a little less seasonal. So Jimmy Stewart is probably my favorite actor, plus anything by Frank Capra is great. Sure it's a Christmas movie, but even in the middle of June I get sappy by the end. Cheesy? Maybe. Great movie? Definitely. Memorable quote:

Clarence: You've been given a great gift, George: A chance to see what the world would be like without you.

2. All About Eve (1950) || IMDb
Last year: 12, up 10

I may not be correct, but I'd be willing to debate against whomever this is the best movie ever made. I think I'd also have valid points. But this list is about favoritism. I wrote a very in-depth post about this movie a while back. Basically, Bette Davis is at her best, but of course Anne Baxter is pretty and charming and manipulative and evil and I love it. Joe Mankiewicz has made some solid movies, but this is without question his best. The screenplay is the highlight, in my opinion, though I may be a bit biased since I'm a creative writing major. Hell, the movie even has Marilyn Monroe, who steals scenes from even the best actors in the movie. Know why? She's freakin' Marilyn Monroe. I guess she can get the Memorable quote:

[a butler passes by]
Miss Claudia Caswell: Oh, waiter!
Addison DeWitt: That is not a waiter, my dear, that is a butler.
Miss Claudia Caswell: Well, I can't yell "Oh butler!" can I? Maybe somebody's name is Butler.
Addison DeWitt: You have a point. An idiotic one, but a point.

1. American Beauty (1999) || IMDb
Last year: 2, up 1

Who didn't see this coming? I also made a more in-depth post about this movie last year. As I already said, it's sad when Sam Mendes' directorial debut is the best movie of the last decade
(winning the Oscar for Picture, Director, Screenplay, Actor, and Cinematography), and his next films just keep getting worse and worse. Jarhead? Road to Perdition? Come on.

Kevin Spacey's fantastic in the lead, and even supporting characters stand out. Wes Bentley, even though his floating bag speech has been mocked many times, makes is so believable. I'm in love with the screenplay, and so glad they cut out the original ending (the kids at a trial). The score is mesmerizing, and I could watch this movie forever. Memorable quote:

Lester Burnham: I feel like I've been in a coma for the past twenty years. And I'm just now waking up.

Conclusion

Well, there it is. Sorry for no pictures this year. Lots of movement. Here's some stats:

New additions: 6 (Fargo, Spirited Away, Amelie, The Departed, Sabrina, Match Point)

Movies in B&W: 11

Movies that won at least one Oscar: 26
--- Best Picture winners: 11

Oldest movie: Gone With the Wind -- 1939
Newest movie: The Departed -- 2006

Biggest jump: Gone With the Wind -- up 14
Biggest fall: Jerry Maguire -- down 11
(this is of course not counting Amelie ranking 12 on a first showing)

Highest animated movie: Lilo & Stitch -- #16
Directors' count: Billy Wilder (3). Woody Allen, Stanley Kubrick, Francis Coppola, Mel Brooks, Kevin Smith all with (2).

I would do most mentioned actor/actress but that's too much work.

No comments:

Post a Comment