10.14.2006

I'm bored so I'm going to compile list of Oscar buzz that's going around, because, as lame as I am, Oscar season is the highlight of my year.

'The Queen' seems to be a big shoe-in for a Best Pic nom, and Best Actress as well. I haven't seen it yet though, but that's the rumor.

'United 93' is getting Best Pic and Director buzz.

'Dreamgirls' has lots of hype for Best Pic, and a few acting awards. All skeptical.

'Babel' has good hype for lots of awards, to include Brad Pitt.

'World Trade Center' is what it is, but I don't see it winning much/anything.

'The Departed' could sweep or it could sadly be overlooked (again for Scorsese). I'm hoping it's the former, because I loved it.

'Half Nelson' has some strong buzz for Ryan Gosling and his supporting actress. It's a bit of a long shot, though, being a very indie flick.

'The Last King of Scotland' has huge buzz for Forest Whitaker. He's a great actor, and an Oscar for him would be justified in my eyes.

'Little Children' has buzz, but I don't know much about it. Kate Winslet and whatnot.

'The Devil Wears Prada' should get Meryl Streep another Oscar Nod, and while I love her and hope she wins, I doubt it.

'Flags of our Fathers' is the new Clint Eastwood flick, and you can always count on him to deliver a great picture that is Oscar gold. God, he's so good.

'Hollywoodland' might get Ben Affleck an acting nod. Maybe Diane Lane too, but that's about it.

'Little Miss Sunshine' should get a writing nod at least, but if it wins... wtf.

'Marie Antoinette' will get costume and art direction nods for sure, and maybe cinematography, but who the fuck knows when it comes to the actual movie. Hopefully Sophia Coppola delivers, though.

'The Prestige' is going to be great, but I don't know if it's what the Academy is looking for.

'Fur' puts Nicole Kidman in a role for another potential nod.

'A Good Year' seems like Oscar bait, and while Ridley Scott is good, and Russell Crowe is a great actor, I see this as an easy pass.

'The Good German' is a Soderbergh picture, and with George Clooney fresh off a win, has lots of potential. It may be overlooked though by the stronger emotional appeal of the pics listed above.

'The Good Shepherd' is a DeNiro directed film with Damon, Jolie, and Alec Baldwin. Could go either way.



I think that about covers the buzz.

No comments:

Post a Comment