8.01.2006

Continuing the countdown of my 50 favorite movies ever! I'm posting 10 today because I may not be able to post tomorrow. If I am able to, I'll post 15-11, and if not, at least we'll still be on track. Note: I probably should've said this earlier; some of my readers don't follow movies as much as me, so if there's a name you don't recognize as an actor, nine times out of ten it's the director. That's why the IMDb link is there, I guess. Just so you know.

25 - The Godfather: Part II
The Godfather: Part II (1974) | IMDb

The second part of the Godfather series, this time following both Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino in two storylines. I'm going to be honest here: while DeNiro does have an amazing performance, I find it hard to watch a lot of his scenes more than a couple times (except, of course, when he's killing people. So badass.), so I mostly watch the 'modern' half with Al Pacino. The scene captured above has to be my favorite moment in any movie, ever. Better than the original? No. Phenominal piece of cinema? Yes.

24 - Fight Club
Fight Club (1999) | IMDb

When I first saw this movie, like most people, I was just in a state of shock and 'what the fuck?' I watched it a second time right afterwards, and for the next few years probably about once every two months. I don't know whose character I like more - Brad Pitt's or Ed Norton's, but either way, they both dominate. A great movie based on a great novel - how odd, since one or the other usually sucks.

23 - Chinatown
Chinatown (1974) | IMDb

From the first time I saw this movie, as soon as it finished, all I could think was, 'Wow, that movie could be one of the best movies ever.' Partially because of my love for Jack Nicholson, partially because of my love for crime dramas, and partially because Roman Polanski is the shit.

22 - Blazing Saddles
Blazing Saddles (1974) | IMDb

Question: How funny is Mel Brooks? Answer: Very. Lots of great jokes in this movie, including the punching of a horse and lots of racial slur usage. Gene Wilder is the man, too. Willy Wonka aside, his performances in Mel Brooks movies are always top notch.

21 - Finding Nemo
Finding Nemo (2003) | IMDb

God, do I love this movie. Whoever said comedy needs to be crude in order to be funny obviously has never seen a movie by Pixar. Definitely my favorite Pixar movie (though I love them all, to be honest [that kinda spoiled the rest of my list]), and I could watch this on loop forever and never be bored. So many great lines.

20 - Traffic
Traffic (2000) | IMDb

Steven Soderbergh's Oscar-winning directing job - and with good reason. The three stories in this movie are all top notch, and the way they all have a different style of being filmed makes this movie fantastic. Plus Topher Grace has a small role. I love 'Gladiator' and all, but I think the Academy fucked up by not giving this flick the Best Picture Oscar.

19 - The Silence of the Lambs
The Silence of the Lambs (1991) | IMDb

Do I really need to explain why this movie is on the list? Hannibal Lecter is possibly the coolest bad guy ever, and even without him this is still a brilliant movie. But mostly it has to do with how awesome Anthony Hopkins plays Hannibal Lecter, and how the atmosphere of the movie centers around him, despite him only having a tiny bit of screen time.

18 - The Producers
The Producers (1968) | IMDb

More Mel Brooks... I know I may get some shit for this one, but I like 'The Producers' more than 'Blazing Saddles.' Deal with it. I recently saw the remake, and it was decent, but not much compares to the original. If 'Springtime for Hitler' ever hit a theatre near me, I'd be there every night.

17 - Lilo & Stitch
Lilo & Stitch (2002) | IMDb

In case you didn't know, I'm all about the Disney movies. I just can't get over how cute and funny both Lilo and Stitch are. Soooo cute. Sooooooooo cute! It cannot be described, so just take my word for it - I love this movie. Also, any movie with lots of Elvis music is awesome by default.

16 - Sunset Boulevard
Sunset Boulevard (1950) | IMDb

If I had to pick a favorite director of all time, it'd probably be Billy Wilder. Not only can he direct, but he's one hell of a writer, too. This movie is a story of an outdated silent movie star who (pretty much) captures a screenwriter to help her build up for a new role for her comeback to motion pictures... and then lots of freaky stuff happens. I don't really want to ruin it, but writing this up, I'm wishing I put this movie in my top 10. I guess I'll go look at the rest of my list now to assure myself I made the right decision.

thirty through twenty-six
thirty-five through thirty-one
thirty-six through forty
forty-five through forty-one
fifty through forty-six

No comments:

Post a Comment