8.26.2006

Today in one of my writing workshops the teacher was doing a class exercise where she put first lines from short stories/novels on the overhead, and then asked the class for a 'yay' or 'nay,' on whether they would keep reading based only on that sentence.

I don't remember the quote or novel or anything, but after numerous one-liners, there was one sentence that took up 3 lines in the Word document, so there were a few commas and a couple thoughts combined. Actually, it was probably as long as the sentence just before this one. A few people in the class said 'nay,' and she asked why. This one girl said, "I don't know, the sentence seemed too long." Then I muttered, "Well then what do you read, Dr. Seuss?" Of course, when I said that, the class got quiet, and the teacher asked me to repeat what I said.

So I elaborated (slightly), and said something like, "Well if three lines is too long, what do you read, Dr. Seuss? I mean, come on..." The girl got all defensive, and started to explain what she meant, but a majority of the class was still laughing at my comment.

Funny aftermath - when we set out to do group work, she sat next to me in our small groups, so I almost felt bad. And for the record, I have nothing against Dr. Seuss.

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels - Not without flaws, but lots of fun to watch. 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment