8.04.2006

Finishing the countdown of my 50 favorite movies ever! Don't be lame and just skip to the end. Pretend it's a TV show and you can't.

5 - The Princess Bride
The Princess Bride (1987) | IMDb

This movie has it all. The best swordfight of all time. Great comedy (inconceivable!). True love for the little chick flick side of us. "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Such a fantastic movie.

4 - The Shawshank Redemption
The Shawshank Redemption (1994) | IMDb

How did this movie not win an Oscar? This is another one of those movies where when it's on TV, I can't change the channel. The plot is such a brilliant story of Tim Robbins' time in the Shawshank prison. Morgan Freeman is one of the better actors of this generation, and at the end, when the movie climaxes (I don't want to spoil it for the 2 people who haven't seen it), it's such a great moment.

3 - A Streetcar Named Desire
A Streetcar Named Desire (1951) | IMDb

I think I'm a little biased for a few reasons. First off, I love the play, and since most of this screenplay is taken word-for-word from the play, it's great. If it's not broken, don't fix it, right? Also, Vivien Leigh is so gorgeous (see previous 'Gone With the Wind' ranking). Marlon Brando is the best actor ever. What more do you need? Well...

2 - American Beauty
American Beauty (1999) | IMDb

Sam Mendes' first real movie, and sadly, when you win a Best Director Oscar and the movie wins Best Picture, it's hard to keep up that momentum. The story of how a miserable, ordinary man flips his life around is just so... I can't even describe it. Partially because I've used all my good phrases before, but mostly because everything about this movie is so far above the standard, I'm speechless. Kevin Spacey is the perfect Lester Burnham, and I just can't get enough of this movie.

1 - It's a Wonderful Life
It's a Wonderful Life (1946) | IMDb

The classic, best, and most moving Christmas movie. If you haven't seen Frank Capra's masterpiece, something's wrong with you (yes, I'm talking about you, Allison). Jimmy Stewart is one of my favorite actors of all time, plus he's one of the best actors of all time, so yeah... The ending few scenes of this movie always get to me, even if it's the middle of July. The Christmas story about family and friends is too good. It's impossible to watch this movie and not feel happy afterwards. Best movie ever.

So there it is, guys. Hope you're not disappointed. If you are, oh well, it's my list. Deal with it. Rock 'n' roll.

ten through six
fifteen through eleven
twenty-five through sixteen
thirty through twenty-six
thirty-five through thirty-one
thirty-six through forty
forty-five through forty-one
fifty through forty-six

No comments:

Post a Comment