8.02.2006

Continuing the countdown of my 50 favorite movies ever!

15 - Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove (1964) | IMDb

First, I love the full title. 'Dr. Strangelove or; How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.' Ok, anyway... To be honest, the first time I watched this movie, I was like 'yaaaaaaaaaawn!' Then I watched it again, and loved it. I don't know why I didn't like it the first time, but that doesn't matter. Each repeat viewing only enhances my love for Peter Sellers, and the whole witty satire thing comes off great and all, but my favorite part is definitely the closing line/scene. Watch it to find out, if you haven't seen it. Loser.

14 - Clue
Clue (1985) | IMDb

Screw the board game, book, or whatever else this movie is based on. This constant string of slapstick and subtle humor is fucking great. Three different endings also make this movie awesome, but come on, Tim Curry wins everything.

13 - Halloween
Halloween (1978) | IMDb

I have many terrible memories of this movie. In a good way. Michael Myers haunted my childhood and caused me many sleepless nights. The whole idea of a murderer stalking you in the day, coming to slash you at night, always watching you, never actually dying... Not to mention this is one of the best genuine horror movies ever made in the first place. Sure, they made 800 terrible sequels, but the original is classic.

12 - All About Eve
All About Eve (1950) | IMDb

I'm going to just say this here to prevent further debate: Best Screenplay Ever. Bette Davis is always fantastic, but this is definitely one of her best performances; however, I like Anne Baxter's performance a lot more anyway. Maybe it's my love for beautiful young adult actresses, but who knows. This story about climbing the social ladder and the apprentice/master tale is the best there is.

11 - Casablanca
Casablanca (1942) | IMDb

If this was a 'best movie ever' list, I'd put this as number one. Despite being over 60 years old, the dialogue is still crisp and better than most stuff written today. And, of course, Humphrey Bogart is one of the best actors ever, along with Ingrid Bergman (a personal favorite of mine). If you don't like this movie, something's wrong with you.

twenty-five through sixteen
thirty through twenty-six
thirty-five through thirty-one
thirty-six through forty
forty-five through forty-one
fifty through forty-six

No comments:

Post a Comment