11.08.2008

A New 'Top 10 Comedies'

Back in May, 2006, I listed my top 10 comedies, ranked in order. The list was as follows:

1. A Shot in the Dark
2. Some Like It Hot
3. The Producers
4. Annie Hall
5. The Graduate
6. Clue
7. Dr. Strangelove
8. Ghostbusters
9. Blazing Saddles
10. Clerks

Needless to say, that list is a bit dated. Both in terms of when the movies came out, as well as my taste in comedies. Yet, all ten of those are hilarious movies. Yet, I feel I must update. So here it is:

10. Forgetting Sarah Marshall

The obligatory 'hip new movies.' But yes, this is a great comedy. I know it will stand up as time goes on, whereas similar Judd Apatow films like 'Knocked Up' and 'Superbad' have already faded into obscurity. Comedy is a tough field to crack into (successfully), but Jason Segel has made it happen--not only with his acting in the film, but the fact that he wrote it himself. Quite the accomplishment.

9 more after the jump.

9. Clue

A slight drop for this slapstick of a good time, but it still holds a special place in my movie heart. The complete absurdity of the movie and how implausible it all is only adds to the humor. While there are moments of blunt humor, the film also has subtle notes that I pick up on more every viewing. That is what makes a great film.

8. Bridget Jones's Diary

Oh yes I did. If there is one thing that pushes a comedy from the 'funny' category to the 'endearing' category, it is a lovable main character. It worked for Juno, and it works here. Bridget Jones, who has more faults than most, is impossible to not love by the end of the film. Sure, this is a 'rom-com,' but that doesn't mean it's not funny.

7. City Lights

How was there no Chaplin on my list before? What an enormous error. City Lights is a triumph not only in pure comedy of our protagonist, but in the goodness it shows and the sappy ending (that gets me every time). I rarely say this, but this is a film everyone should see.

6. The Producers

I haven't watched this film in a while, yet still laugh when thinking of some of the lines from it. Sure, line-for-line Blazing Saddles may be the funnier film, but the mere concept of The Producers alone makes it a supreme laughfest. A producer and an accountant who try to find a play they know will flop so they can score big? Springtime for Hitler? So brilliant.

5. This Is Spinal Tap

Borat was funny. The mockumentary is a great film concept. And it all started with the fictional band Spinal Tap. Yet, they have a song on Guitar Hero, so they're sort of a real band. Why this film works so well is because all of the actors play their own music and really convince us of the band. And they are completely clueless. The characters, not the actors. And clueless people, when done right, are a home run. Like in the movie 'Clueless.' And, here, as well.

4. Dr. Strangelove

I feel like anything I explain about this film would be an insult to its greatness. This film is so brilliant in every single aspect that even stating its brilliance is an understatement. Why is it so brilliant? Peter Sellers' multiple roles is certainly a factor, but we cannot overlook George C. Scott and Stanley Kubrick, also two of cinemas greatest treasures. Name-dropping is not enough, because what these three people have created (with the help of others, obviously, but...) is a timeless comedy that is funny and satirical all the way through, until the very last moment of the film, in the War Room, where the greatest last line of any movie is delivered. If you have not seen it, there is no way I am ruining it for you.

3. A Shot in the Dark

As I said above, when a character is portrayed as clueless and it is done effectively, it is very funny. Peter Sellers' Inspector Clouseau is a model for such characters. He is so bad at his job he can barely walk around his apartment without tripping over himself. Yet, he thinks he is the most brilliant Inspector in all of France, and insists on frequently giving advice. The scene where he plays a game of billiards with Ballon is the funniest scene of any film. It is pure brilliance, and most of the film is pretty close to this standard. A definite good laugh.

2. Annie Hall

I would have no trouble filling up this whole list with Woody Allen films, but I have restricted myself to only one. Manhattan is a great film, but that shall be on another list someday. Annie Hall is a jumbled story of Alvy Singer and Annie Hall, told in every way imaginable--flashbacks, stage plays, cartoons, breaking the fourth wall, voice over, subtitles revealing what the characters 'really' think, and on and on. Woody Allen, here, has decided to satisfy all of his whims, and when all of these elements mix with some of his traditional stand-up and one-liners, it's quite exhilarating.

1. Some Like It Hot

I feel like such a tool listing this as my number one, because AFI did as well. But, alas, here I am. What can I say that I have not already on this blog? Everything about the film is pitch-perfect, especially Tony Curtis' Junior. I think that's my favorite part. Or Marilyn Monroe. Or the mere concept of men forced to cross-dress to escape being murdered. All of those jokes that, if told today, would not be nearly as funny or clean as they were back in 1950. This film is one that always makes me feel a little bit better, and I will always enjoy, and will always stop whatever I'm doing to watch if it is on. It's certainly one of the greatest.

No comments:

Post a Comment