11.18.2008

i accidentally a coca cola bottle.

If you visit any large forums on the net, I'm sure you're aware of the 'i accidentally a coke bottle. is this bad?' gag.

For a pretty funny example, check out this link. The typical scenario goes like this:

Jon: I accidentally a coke bottle.
Batman: You accidentally what?
Jon: The whole bottle.
Batman: .....

Yes, I brought Batman into this one.

Because I like grammar and enjoy ruining jokes by explaining why they are funny (trust me, this definitely ruins a joke), here is why the scenario is so great.

A sentence is, in its most basic form, a subject and a verb. Those are the two things a sentence must have. In the sentence "I accidentally a coke bottle" there is a subject, and an adverb, but no verb.

This leads people to exclaim, "You WHAT a coke bottle?"

Pretty amusing -- and makes me appreciate verbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment