11.23.2008

Movies I Used to Like (But Now Think Are Gimmicky or Thematically Shallow)

I think we all go through different levels of 'taste.' When I was in High School I was on the bandwagon of cool thrillers and movies that made you 'think.' Movies that were kind of 'indie' yet popular enough to have an audience. A cult audience, for the most part.

Now, I have most definitely moved on from that part of my life. It's interesting, because now when I hear people praise these movies, a part of me can't wait for them to realize what I did.

Here is a list of some such movies -- in no order.

Fight Club

This is a decent movie. I really, truly think David Fincher is a great director, Jim Uhls can write good screenplays, and Chuck Palahniuk can write good novels. There is a real voice in the narration by the Edward Norton character, and Brad Pitt is a very convincing Tyler Durden. The movie starts off strong, but the 'twist,' which I won't spoil, works on a personal level, but when things escalate to blowing up buildings and Project Mayhem, the movie strays from an interesting individual study into the waters of satire -- and those waters are hard to navigate successfully. 'Fight Club' does not do it.

Memento

Another decent movie. The screenplay, told in reverse chronological order, is unique in its suspense and concept. One a first and second viewing, the film functions very well. But after two viewings, the film has absolutely zero re-watch value. None. On the DVD you can view the movie in chronological order. I tried that, and it's like watching paint dry. Great movies have excellent re-watch value. 'Memento' is a one-trick pony.

Reservoir Dogs

Other than maybe Orson Welles and Sam Mendes, few directors get it perfect the first time around. Quentin Tarantino, writer and director of the exceptionally great film 'Pulp Fiction,' got a start in a warehouse with some robbers and one cop. The plot of the film is interesting. It's not exactly unique (this is a big debate among movie trivia hounds, but we won't get into it), but still very captivating. But what removes 'Reservoir Dogs' from the realm of other great crime movies like, I don't know, 'L.A. Confidential,' is that we don't care about the characters. Sure, we get a tiny bit of backstory, but that's it. And yes, the whole premise of the film is we don't know about the characters. I get it. But doesn't that make it a fundamental flaw in the film's design? It doesn't make it right.

More later. Maybe. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment