1.24.2008

Sad to say the only category I picked 5 for 5 on (without alternates) was Supporting Actress. Shame. Either way, here are some opinions on Oscar nominations.

Excited for/surprised/etc:
Atonement for Best Picture (hoped for/didn't think would happen)
Viggo for Best Actor (great call on nom/didn't think would happen)
Brad Bird for Ratatouille screenplay (I forgot about this for some reason -- great nom)
Sarah Polley for adapted screenplay (forgot about this one too -- I fail)
Lack of Simpsons Movie in animated feature
Saoirse Ronan nomination

Sad/disappointed in/etc:
Michael Clayton getting nominated for, well, anything (Best Pic/director included)
Diving Bell and the Butterfly missing Best Picture (wtf is this?)
Lack of any Zodiac representation

You know what the funny thing is, that while I missed a few key predictions, I'm actually happy overall. For example, I forgot Ratatouille in screenplay, but it's totally deserving. Also, I was predicting Angelina Jolie because of buzz, but she definitely shouldn't have gotten nominated.

Now, I have a formula...

I will not reveal the formula yet, but STATISTICALLY SPEAKING the winner for best picture should be... No Country For Old Men.

The only potential problem with this is the excessive violence, but last year 'The Departed' won. But then again, would two violent movies win in a row? Who knows. But, for right now the statistical favorite, as well as my favorite, is NCFOM. Calling that shit now.

But.... to be honest, for history sake, I would be happy with 4 of the 5 nominees. There Will Be Blood was a very good movie, Juno is extremely enjoyable, Atonement was heartbreakingly beautiful, and No Country For Old Men is perfect. The only winner I would be pissed about it Michael Clayton. What does this mean? Great year for movies.

Only thing that could make this year more perfect would be Julian Schnabel winning best director and Marion Cotillard winning Best Actress. Two uphill battles, but they both have globe wins, so we will see. Yay for cheering for the non-frontrunners!

No comments:

Post a Comment