3.07.2007

Three things of deceasing importance:

Firstly, a lesson for you kids out there. Forget reading stuff for class. Use SparkNotes if you can. On Tuesday I had a quiz on a play by John Osborne, so on Sunday and Monday I spent a few hours reading the whole thing. This is weird for me, since I normally just read the sparknotes and do decent on the quiz. I get to class, feeling good, knowing most of the plot inside out, and I get to class and on the five question quiz, two questions are on tiny things that were mentioned in one sentence in some tiny place in the play. I think I got a 3/5. Such a joke... the one time I bother to read the whole body of work, and I get fucked over in the end. Screw self-enlightenment, I just want a good grade (for now...).

Secondly, last night I watched Cry_Wolf, which is a horror movie released a few years ago. It looked pretty bad, but it had the hot redheaded chick from Dawn of the Dead, so I caught it on a movie channel. I'm not that great at predicting movie endings (and I hate it when people say they 'knew something would happen,' but didn't actually say so during the movie. I also hate people who talk during movies. And people who try to predict endings in general. Actually, I just hate people.), but this ending was obvious from the first half hour, making the last hour pretty terrible. I mean, I'm all about watching rich kids in some private high school fuck with each other, but... sigh. 4/10.

Lastly, Match Point is an amazing movie. V for Vendetta is not.

Comparing a movie legend like Woody Allen to the Wachowski brothers, who had one decent movie, is pretty blasphemous. It's so much easier to have a terribly plot-driven story by two-dimensional characters in some sci-fi world, where the only appeal is just the looming overhead of a iron fisted government future, than to write an extremely ambitious drama with multiple characters with contrasting personalities, and at the same time destroying all predetermined rules of storytelling with an ending that seems unbelievable, yet so realistic. And that's not even counting how predictable V for Vendetta was. Woody Allen's direction is precise, and even a simple shot for a second reveals more about the characters than we get from watching an hour of Natalie Portman being lectured by a protagonist who seems like a poor-man's attempt at a real hero whose only significant achievement is memorizing the whole V section of the dictionary. I could go on, but since I'm lazy, I'll just say look them both up on either MetaCritic or RottenTomatoes and see which did better. V for Vendetta is a terribly mediocore film, probably about a 6.5-7, whereas Match Point is hovering around a steady 8.5.

Man, I'm mad I failed that quiz.

No comments:

Post a Comment