5.21.2008

Top Chef -- Restaurant Wars

So David Cook won American Idol. Who cares? Not me. It was an easy prediction.

The Quickfire this week was to do eggs for breakfast in a short-order diner. Seems like a pretty crazy task. I mean, not the cooking, but the fact you have to do so much crap so fast.

And of course Antonia won again, so I'm annoyed. I'm becoming less of a fan of the Quickfire challenges.

Restaurant Ward is the Elimination Challenge. Antonia picks Stephanie and Richard for her team. Smart choice, since they're probably the two best. So that means the other team is Spike, Dale, and Lisa. God, Lisa needs to go.

And of course Dale wants to do Asian food. Again.

I think I'll like this challenge, though. None of that bullshit where you have restrictions on your menu or budget (well, ridiculous budget restrictions). This time, it's just do something you want, and do it well. Sure, it's still in teams, but hey, what can ya do?

I think it would be more fun spending $5,000 at Pier 1 than both the cooking and shopping. Maybe I'm watching the wrong reality show?

Chef Tom taking leave sucks. I wish I knew more about Anthony Bourdain.

So the last four eliminated contestants are back, and each team gets to pick one to bring aboard. And, of course, the two people I don't like get picked to come back for the episode: Jen and Nikki. No Mark or Andrew? Weak.

Lisa keeps having problems with rice and burners. Jesus, girl. Maybe you should not make rice for one fucking episode. Oh, but wait. When you try a soup, you completely fuck it up. Good job.

Again -- no Gail. Sweet. But at least Padma looks gorgeous. I'm going to marry her.

Watching the actual food come out, it looks like another clear-cut victory for Stephanie/Richard/Antonia. Not only did their dishes straight up look better, but the judges liked them all better. I think some of the problem was genuinely the bowls and dishes Spike's team used. They should have gone with clean-looking plates like the other team.

And I really don't like Anthony Bourdain now. Or the other guy who is a guest judge. Seriously, give me Tom, Padma, Gail, and Ted. Every episode.

Thank God someone other than Richard won the challenge. Go Stephanie! What a sweet prize, too. A trip to Spain to taste wine and stay in luxury hotels? Amazing.

The other team was just a train wreck from the beginning. And I'm glad Spike stayed out of most of it by taking the front of the house. Smart move, as the guest judge noted. And I don't know whether I like it or dislike it when at judging the contestants hate each other and point fingers. I think it makes it more interesting. Maybe...

So Dale got sent home. Good, I guess, but I'd rather see Lisa go. Shit. Why is she still on this show? She's awful.

Stephanie and Spike, my two favorites, are in the final five! Holler!