8.19.2007

Two movie notes, one on a movie that came out this week, one I just bought on DVD.

Last night I went and saw Superbad, which was a great experience. Normally I don't laugh at dick jokes, but they're met with some witty allusions from other characters, so it's just great. That probably made no sense. An example would be something like, Seth makes a joke about how he dated the hottest chick ever two years ago, and now his sex life is over, all down-hill from here. Then Evan says, 'Like Orson Welles.' Get it? If you do, congratulations. Out of the sold out theater, I think one of my friends and I were the only two people to laugh/get it.

But those jokes are definitely backseat to the vulgar, inappropriate, yet ultimately true statements made by the protagonists. And for once the 'lesson' at the end of the movie isn't done in cliche. Sure, the motif is a bit old-fashioned, but it plays out well.

My only real gripe with the movie is length. The scenes with the police officers for the first thirty minutes they had on screen were funny, but when the same two cops kept showing up it grew tiresome. While the rest of the movie stayed fresh, the cops became redundant, their jokes predictable. I guess, though, since Seth Rogan (who plays one of the cops) was a co-writer, he had to give himself as much screen time as possible.

Rating: 6/7

Now, seven months ago, because I was lazy, I gave Mulholland Dr. a 10/10 because Naomi Watts has lesbian scenes topless. Now, that's definitely a good reason for a perfect score, but there's a lot more to the movie than hot lesbian action.

I try to use the word 'masterpiece' sparingly. Mulholland Dr., if not a masterpiece, is very, very close. It is definitely David Lynch's best film. The movie clocks in at 145 minutes, with scenes ranging from music auditions to murders. There's quite a few storylines, and you can honestly double the count of however many characters you have, because the last forty or so minutes will fuck you over once you think you have the movie put together.

That's why this movie is so great. There are plenty (I've read a dozen, all of which could be valid) of theories, and am pretty stuck on my own. But still, every time I watch the movie, I question myself. To explain plot points would take pages, and it still would make no sense. Let's just say that there's a thin line between dream and reality, and nothing is really certain when it's all said and done.

I would type up my interpretation with a spoiler alert, but I know people would read it anyway without seeing the movie, so I won't. I'll leave it up to you, and if you're lucky you'll enjoy drawing your own conclusions.

Rating: 7/7

No comments:

Post a Comment