8.16.2007

So at this other site I'm doing weekly 'what's opening' glimpses. I figure, if I'm doing it anyway, might as well post here. Why am I doing this? Because no one wants to spend $7-$11 AND be forced to sit through a bad movie. Lose/lose. Of course, I'll be a little biased because I have better taste and have seen more movies than most people, but I'll keep some objectivity in mind. Modesty, not so much. Also, with the summer blockbuster season ending and the 'Oscar season' coming up, this will be a little guide.


First, and probably the most popular release this weekend is Superbad. IMDb. Trailer.

The trailer looks funny, which usually means the movie is mediocre. However, a surprising 82 on Metacritic and 89% CotC on RottenTomatoes make me think this is 114 minutes of good entertainment.

Second up in wide release is The Invasion IMDb. Trailer.

As much as I like Nicole Kidman, this looks trivial at best. Even the better reviews say it's predictable and, well, bad. Skip.

The last wide release this weekend is The Last Legion. IMDb. Trailer.

So aside from the terrible cheesy trailer and that the little kid is from Love Actually, the movie looks entertaining. But alas, I haven't heard anything about it before I watched the trailer just now, which usually means one thing: disaster.

This isn't really my thing, but since Leo DiCaprio is a pretty big star, here's The 11th Hour. IMDb. Trailer.

I mention this because I've heard more about this than both The Invasion and Last Legion, even though it's only in limited release. It's a documentary about Earth's climate, what people can do to save it, etc. If that's your thing you should check it out. If not, well... don't.


There's a few other limited releases, but they either won't attract any attention BO-wise, or aren't worth mentioning yet.

Jon's Choice

Go see Superbad.

No comments:

Post a Comment