2.11.2007

Ebert and I disagree.

Ebert's Oscar picks are now up. I must say, I generally respect his opinion on movies. He definitely knows what he's talking about (obviously more-so than me, which is why he is famous and I'm only slightly less famous), but his Oscar predictions, other than predicting a few random upsets (i.e. 'Crash') are usually off.

The short version, here is what he says:

Best Actor - Prediction: Forest Whitaker, Preference: Peter O'Toole
Supporting Actor - Prediction: Eddie Murphy, Preference: Eddie Murphy
Best Actress - Prediction: Helen Mirren, Preference: Helen Mirren
Supporting Actress - Prediction: Jennifer Hudson, Preference: Jennifer Hudson

Foreign Film - Prediction: "Pan's Labyrinth", Preference: "Pan's Labyrinth"
Animated Film - Prediction: "Cars", Preference: "Monster House"
Original Screenplay - Prediction: "Babel", Preference: "Babel"
Adapted Screenplay - left out...
Best Director - Prediction: Martin Scorsese, Preference: "For reasons of tact, I prefer not to reveal my preference."
Best Picture - Prediction: "Babel", Preference: "Babel"

Babel? BABEL?! The only way I see this happening is if it wins the WGA tonight, which is pretty unlikely since its competition is Little Miss Sunshine and The Queen. If the former wins, it has a good shot at Picture, if the latter wins, it'll for sure win screenplay, and has a better shot at Picture as well (and pretty much knocks LMS out). Can Babel even win screenplay? If Babel doesn't win Screenplay, the only potential wins at the Oscars are Editing (which I don't think it will win either), and then Picture. And I honestly don't see it taking home the big prize with only two awards. Actually, I can imagine it, and it makes me pretty mad, and since the Academy likes to throw a few curve balls I almost expect this kind of joke. Why do I get so into this?

No comments:

Post a Comment