2.08.2007

Because I really, really don't want to read T.S. Eliot right now...

Oscar gibberish.

Ok, this is still very early, but here's the update:

Best Pic: Should win - 'The Departed.' Will win - 'The Departed.' Wouldn't mind winning - 'The Queen.' Would vomit if won - 'Little Miss Sunshine' or 'Babel'

Best Director: Should win - Scorsese. Will win - Scorsese.

Best Actor: Should win - Leo DiCaprio for 'The Departed.' (I know) Will win - Forest Whitaker for 'The Last King of Scotland.' I really need to see 'Half Nelson,' though.

Best Actress: Should win - Helen Mirren for 'The Queen.' Will win - Helen Mirren. Very unlikely upset: Meryl Streep

Supporting Actor: Should win - Mark Wahlberg for 'The Departed.' Will win - Eddie Murphy for 'Dreamgirls.' Possible upset - Alan Arkin.

I say Wahlberg, and I feel I need to justify myself. First off, the only other nominee in a Best Pic movie is Alan Arkin. Also, Wahlberg was easily the biggest scene stealer in 'The Departed,' and that's an amazing thing when you're in a movie with Leo, Matt Damon, and the amazing Jack Nicholson. Sure, a lot of it is tributed to Will Monahan's script, but still. Whereas Eddie Murphy broke his typical mold, he's far from the main attraction of 'Dreamgirls,' which was thoroughly snubbed by the Academy. Sadly, I don't think Wahlberg will pull much support though.

Supporting Actress: Should win - Cate Blanchett for 'Notes on a Scandal.' Will win - Jennifer Hudson for 'Dreamgirls.' Possible upset - Abigail Breslin for 'Little Miss Sunshine.'

If little Abigail throws Jennifer Hudson off her damn pedestal I'd be happy, except that would mean 'Sunshine' has a huge shot at Best Pic, which I don't want. Seriously, I would put all the other four nominees ahead of Hudson. Cate Blanchett has the most talent out of any of the nominees, but she already got her gold for 'The Aviator,' so I doubt she'll win again so soon. Sad.

Adapted Screenplay: Should win - 'The Departed.' Will win - 'The Departed.'

Original Screenplay: Should win - 'The Queen.' Will win - 'The Queen.'

The WGA awards are soon, and if for some reason 'Sunshine' wins that, I may change my prediction, but 'The Queen' seems like a solid lock now, which makes me happy.

Ok, back to this damn poetry...

No comments:

Post a Comment