6.30.2007

Last night I was watching the movie 'Girl Fever' aka '100 Women,' which is pretty bad, but it's almost a guilty pleasure...

Anyway, there's this line in there, something about art is the only thing that's honest, where you 'can't fake it.' Your stuff is either good, or it isn't.

Then I thought about the movie 'Fever Pitch,' where Jimmy Fallon says something about how Baseball is the best sport because there's no faking it. You can either hit a curve ball, or you can't.

So naturally I think, what the hell? I guess you could say that about anything. Basketball -- you can either make it in the basket, or you can't. Accounting -- you can either do the math, or you can't. This seems to be a pretty common analogy.

But, what really gets me is that, at least with Baseball, hitting a curve ball is a good metaphor. A curve ball to one person is a curve ball to another.

With art, it is about 70% subjective, 30% objective. I really don't like any Andy Warhol stuff, but apparently he was some important artist. I'm sure some would agree, and some would disagree. Subjective.

But my point is people need to come up with a new metaphor for why things are honest and the best. Because 'you can either ______ a _______ or you can't' has been done and done. If I see it again in a movie, I'm walking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment